Welcome to Pettengill Academy’s Infant Classrooms! We are very excited for your little one to be joining one of our infant classrooms.
Pettengill Academy has two infant classrooms, one for non-mobile infants and another for our infants that can move.
Our infants’ days are spent exploring the world around them. We encourage the interaction with all the sights and sounds around them and continue to build their muscles with lots of floor time.
Our infants take lots of naps, and their bottles are prepared in the room with a bottle warmer typically. We are breastfeeding friendly so if you’d like to come in to do a feeding. We also have lots of storage for fresh and frozen breast milk.
Our main focus in our Infant classes is to help the students with their gross and fine motor development as well as pre-speaking language development.
In these classrooms, we focus on reaching the following development and academic goals:
- Understanding a variety of words by listening, observing, and engaging.
- Use Sounds and Gestures to express needs, wants and interests
- Listens to teachers read aloud and songs sung by teachers
- Use different approaches to solve simple problems, such as making sounds and pointing
- Build a sense of self by recognizing self in a mirror
- Work on physical milestones like rolling over, sitting up, crawling, and walking
- Begin to copy the simple actions of others
- Perform actions to gain a response
- Explore a variety of textures like wet and stick
- Listen to music and experiment with toy instruments
- Coordinate hand movements to begin reaching for and grasping object
- and other developmental skills depending on the students in the class.
** Please note every student develops and learns at a different rate. These are goals for our students, but not all students might not have these concepts before going to kindergarten and that is ok. **